Monday, June 27, 2016

Reconstruct + Restyle

In 2013 my beautiful friend Amanda who has always been very supportive of me as a designer, asked me to make her wedding dress. At the time, I was hesitant because I wasn't a custom designer. I was a ready to wear designer where I would create collections to sell. My fiance (now husband) and I purchased our first home and I was ready to take a break from fashion to work on renovations. BUT Amanda is my dear friend and well I couldn't say no, or pass up an opportunity to work with her.

Amanda gave me a dress that was given to her never worn and asked me to redesign and create something new. The idea of cutting up a brand new dress scared me. How could I make this already beautiful dress even better? I decided to us the bodice of the dress for the bodice pattern, which fit Amanda perfectly. I changed the ball gown style to a slimmer more 1940's hollywood feel.

I found a mauve lining and a thick crochet gold lace that pair perfectly together. The end result was a sort of beautiful simple glamour. We held fittings in her bedroom and at the last fitting I hand sewed buttons and the bustle on her bed. It is an awesome memory for me.

3 years later at the opening of my showroom, Amanda allowed me to put her dress on display in the store front window. This meant a lot to me considering is a dear friend an a long time supporter of my business. Amanda had watched me grow as a designer. She even knitted red scarves for me back in 2010 for a collection I showed at the FGI (Fashion Group International) Building (across from Bryant Park) during Fashion Week in NYC.

I adore you Amanda, thank you for allowing me to be apart of your day. xo Sheila







No comments:

Post a Comment